Wednesday, January 9, 2008

screaming wind of doom

An unholy screeching woke me up in the wee hours this morning...I thought some neighbor was freaking out, but it turned out to be some wildly gusting wind.

I have never heard wind make such a horrible noise, but it was howling around the edges of our building rattling our windows and flinging stuff off our neighbor's balcony. From the racket going on I thought I'd look out the window to see bicycles and small pets swirling through the air, but all there was to take in was the wind whipping the trees, rain flying everywhere, and a glowey weirdness of lightning off in the distance.

It's since calmed down - no longer the up-to-75-mph winds the morning news is telling me about, but still enough to moan around the edges of our apartment and far too much for anyone to go out driving in. I'm so grateful to still have our power on - I swear the news lady just said there are 50,000 people without it right now but that sounds way too high...it's probably like 5,000, but I enjoy the dramatic so I'll leave it in there. ;-) We also survived without a tree hitting our building and our cars are safe - which is more than so many people out there.

The yard is a mess, though. The wind ripped up a bunch of shingles that are strewn around and there's a stray watering can or two in unusual places. I would like to note that the kite that's been stuck in a tree across the way for months now is still there, however.

Apparently when you get a 68 degree day in January the weather freaks out and retaliates...crazy weather, what will it think of next?

1 comment:

groovyoldlady said...

You should have taken some videos.